Our Team Rocks! An interview with Kathi.
MANAGER: Kathi S
LOCATION: Houston, TX
POSITION: District Manager (Houston Security Self Storage Portfolio)
TENURE: 3 years +
1. How did your career path lead you to Landvest? I worked 2 years for a small self-storage company in the early 90's. While I enjoyed the position, personal circumstances dictated that I not stay. However, I said that once my life allowed, I wanted to get back in and retire out of the industry; that occurred in 2011. I was working for a real estate developer but knew it was the time to get back into the industry. I searched several months but was unable to find a company that would talk to me due to the field I was in and but most importantly, the compensation. When I reached out to Landvest, I knew I needed to assure them that I had no desire to stay in my current field. My desire was so strong that in my cover letter to Landvest I begged them to give me an interview. Brenda Atilano, a Regional Manager, did….and the rest is history.
2. What is the best advice you’ve received in your career? To not be afraid to ask for help. Not one successful person got there without the help and support of others. I, like others, confuse independence with success.
3. Which experience(s) in your career influenced who you are today? I've been in most areas of management - residential, commercial, retail. I've been involved in development and the construction of those ideas. Once constructed, I managed the day-to-day operations. I believe that because I understand what goes into the entire process I have a deeper understand than the average manager. That said, I learn something new most days.
4. What is your favorite part of your position? Training future rock stars.
5. What is your least favorite part of your position? Training people who believe they know best and take offense to direction. It's worth it when they come to me and say "had I only listened things would have been a lot easier".
6. What is the most difficult part of your position? Hiring! To find just the right person for a particular property and have the patience to find that person.
7. If you could only call one member of the Landvest team to answer a question, any question, who would you call and why? Not fair! I enjoy my interactions with Jordan Wright, but if I only had one person to call it would have to be Brian Byrd. His knowledge of the industry and dealing with people, both tenants and team members, is superior. As I've told him on several occasions - I want to me just like him when I grow up.
8. Describe the endeavor you are most proud of while being part of the Landvest team? Vacating 202 units for the renovation at our Westheimer location. To vacate that many units in less than 6 weeks was impressive. Not an easy task given all that went into it (move-outs, transfers, credits), but I believe the team handled it well! Perseverance was the key!
9. What would you tell someone that is thinking about joining the Landvest team? If you are looking for a well-run company, Landvest is second to none. Also, the pay structure is such that if you work your property you will make a decent living.
10. If you could have one superpower, what would it be, and why? The ability to heal fast. The older I get the more attractive that sounds.